Handcrafting Inspired by the Ocean Breeze!

Handcrafting Inspired by the Ocean Breeze!

Sunday 19 January 2014

Tools of the Trade

"Knitting is creative, health-boosting and surprisingly sociable. It's also a teensy bit addictive!"

Although I have knitted a few things that would be considered advanced knitting, I still consider myself a beginner knitter. Probably because I don't knit as much as I crochet.

Double Knitting dolls by L'Ana Banana

Knitted double colour cowl by L'Ana Banana
(former AEHandCrafts)

I find that crochet is much more versatile but I recognize knitting as being much quicker and looking way better when making garments. And it is obviously much more popular.

So I decided to give knitting another try and maybe I'll come to love it and master it as much as crochet.
And because you need the right tools for a job well done, I made a little investment.


I found two great magazines to keep as reference books, for those times when you quite can't remember exactly how to do that stitch. I have seen and bought my share of knitting magazines and books, but when I actually do need to use them, I find their instructions hazy and difficult to follow. So I was much more careful with my decision this time and took a good look at the magazines before buying them. And I must say that regarding instructions, they are probably the best I've seen so far.

I also indulged myself to a KnitPro Symfonie Interchangeable Needles Deluxe Set. With 8 different needle sizes and lots of accessories, I am set into knitting for life! I had seen this kit before but, although I love the birch wood needles, I must confess I was a bit skeptical about the interchanging system. But after a friend bought them and made an excellent review about them, I made my decision. If you are a knitter, or plan to become one, you must try the birch wood needles by KnitPro. It is a life changing experience!

So here I am, all set with the reference books and the right tools, bring on the yarn!

3 comments:

  1. I love your cowl! Where did you get the pattern for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria! Thank you very much for dropping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I love getting feedback! :) I made up the pattern for the cowl myself. I was surprised of how good it turned out! I basically did 2 knitted strips in stockinette leaving an opening of around 20 rows in the middle of every 30 full rows. When both strips were complete, I weaved in one strip in the opening of the other, creating this braided look. After all openings were filled, I sewed each strip to each own end. Hmmm... don't know if this was very helpful. I'll think about writing up a pattern ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! I think I can try to copy it from your instructions, but you should definitely write a pattern. I think it would be very popular :D

      Delete